Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Simple Step to "Green"


David Suzuki was on the late night show "The Hour" yesterday. He and George, the host, were talking about "One Million Acts of Green"...a project campaigned by The Hour that encourages everyone to do some act of green every day.



So I checked out the website today and it is really cool. It has graphic buttons listed along the bottom of the page for the categories for all the types of acts of green someone might feel inclined to participate in. At the office, at home, in the car, in the yard, etc.



There's a little button that you click on to record the act of green you did today or will soon do.



I clicked on "washed my laundry in cold water"...it said that "If you wash four out of every five loads of laundry in cold water each month, you’ll save about 35 kilograms of CO2 emissions from entering the atmosphere. If you wash 80 per cent of your laundry on the cold/cold cycle every year, you’ll save up to $100 or more on your energy bill...." Very cool, don't you think?



What is one act of green that you can do today?



Please leave a comment about your act of green.




3 comments:

1worldatlas said...

You know, I haven't given it much thought yet Rache. I mean, overall I feel I do a pretty good job with being "green" conscience (especially following lead). So, I guess the idea would be to do at least one thing above the usual. I think a good place to start is to try to limit the amount of paper that I use at work. We go through an enormous amount of paper that is often discarded almost immediately after printing. It will just take being more careful that document I need is correct before I print. I think that might be a good start.

Rachel said...

Good point Kyle! :)

Does your work recycle?

Thanks for your comment. Let me know how much paper you can save in a week.

Susan Gammage said...

I've started to turn off my computer monitor when I'm away for more than a few minutes - apparently it takes more energy than the computer itself.