Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Poem After Two Miscarriages


My heart is heavy again,
I say to a friend,
One day I was happily pregnant,
then that little baby did ascend.

Like the autumn trees around me,
sheding the leaves that fall,
My body released that baby,
But I wasn't prepared at all.

Now my tears fall unstopping,
the hurt is too big to contain,
My tears fall unstopping,
Like a warm autumn rain.

Two babies now wait for me,
In that divine next world,
I miss them though I never held them,
My little boy and girl.

In June I lost Elijah,
and my heart broke in two.
On Nov. 5th, I lost Mary,
Two children I never knew.

How did this story become mine?
Two babies I'll never hold.
The meaning, they say is divine,
There's a reason I am told.

The night has fallen around me,
but my weeping heart won't rest.
How can I chose to sleep,
With this weight upon my chest?

The Tree of Grace is high and wide,
Our family's love is strong.
God's gift is in the moment,
In the hope of my heart's song.

This dark night embraces me,
But soon the sun will dawn,
Bringing hope of brighter tomorrows,
In the hope of my heart's song.

No comments: